Wednesday 7 March 2012

GARETH PUGH AW12

Gareth Pugh is one of my all time favourite designers of all time. Every season he manages to blow me away a little bit more, to the point where I don't think It's possible for him to impress me any-more...Well that was last season.

This season, he's blown me away. Again.

I've now come to expect the best from Pugh: A dark, visceral and futuristic collection that pulls no punches...This time round though he is progressive as ever, but with a somewhat regressive slant...

Many of the looks remind me of hunter-gather/expedition clothing...the boot covers and furs that would be necessary in extreme cold are given a futuristic look in silvers and blacks, both matte and glossy. How someone can make a somewhat primitive look so futuristic is beyond me...pure genius!

The models looked like dystopic, yet decadent warrior-ettes, stalking down the catwalk...

The movement of the fur, along with the exaggerated shapes of the hem lines, arms, shoulders and collars are stunning...It always surprises me to see these softer, fluid elements in a Pugh collection...his trademark architectural cuts and stiff shapes work so well alongside the fur and tassels, he ought to use them outside his AW collections!

I will admit though...a couple of the pieces are VERY similar to Mcqueen pieces from a couple of seasons ago, both in shape and materials used. I'll leave you to decide which!

Also, be sure to check out PAR's other Pugh posts here and here!

























No comments:

Post a Comment