Monday 12 December 2011

SHOWSTUDIO: IN YOUR FACE

Back in 2000, world famous/Notorious photographer Nick Knight and his creative team created the fashion phenomenon known as SHOWstudio: a revolutionary website dedicated to the production and promotion of contemporary fashion films. Since then SHOWstudio has collaborated with some of the biggest names in fashion as well as up-and-coming designers, giving them a unique platform with which to get their work noticed.

The innovative creative processes of these artists is documented from beginning to end, giving audiences a glimpse into what was once a world behind closed doors, thus giving the public a chance to comment and share their thoughts on the artists and their work. 

I LOVE this concept, its a brilliant way to get up close and personal with designers and really see how they are inspired and how they take this inspiration and create such amazing pieces!

SHOWstudio online was then materialised into the SHOWstudio shop...a space in which pieces shown on film could be exhibited and then purchased. 

A couple of weeks ago I decided to pay the SHOWstudio shop a visit, take some pictures, and report back on what I thought.

The shop itself is down a narrow side street (1-9 Bruton place) near trendy New Bond street, and could be easily missed. The outside of the shop is modest and low-key, far from the delights waiting for me inside.

Here I am, stood outside the shop, cold...



Once inside, I was utterly blown away by the pieces on show: eclectic, unusual and exciting. Many of the pieces I was aware of already from other blog's, my own blog and various fashion websites...So I was like a kid in a candy shop when faced with so many beautiful things!

The first thing that caught my eye as I stepped in was this infamous Philip Treacy hat worn by Sarah Jessica Parker...I thought It was strange though that It was on a cramped shelf in the reception area instead of in a dedicated space!



On a shelf underneath was this piece from milliner to the stars Piers Atkinson...I was a bit disappointed that It was the acrylic version and not the neon tube version!


As I stepped into the actual studio space, I was blown away by this Nick Knight print, arguably his most famous portrait so far. Devon Aoki wearing Alexander Mcqueen (1996)




On the adjacent wall I found this magnificent quartz knuckle duster ring by Debra Baxter, In a bell jar of course!




Having previously blogged about the delectable Delfina Delettrez, I was over the moon to get up close and personal with these stunning Bee earrings...I LOVE the way they've been displayed! You don't often see jewellery presented on a Midas-esque head...but I'm glad I finally have!




As I turned the corner into the second room of the exhibition, I was immediately gob smacked by this 'Void of course' triple head mask, as only a few days before I'd come across this stunning image of it online!





In a corner of the room where these two masks from the Givenchy SS11 collection...I love the dark/light contrast and fetish style of these, definitely one of my SS11 highlights!



I must admit that I was a little disappointed that the Gareth Pugh 'Stealth Bomber' dress wasn't on show with It being one of my all time favourite fashion pieces by one of my all time favourite designers!

And then would you believe It, a staff member walked through the exhibition holding one of the dress's arms! As far as I was concerned, It was better than nothing! If you're oblivious to this dress, here it is in all its glory.





All in all I was thoroughly awe-struck at this exhibition and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in contemporary fashion and art! I'll definitely be paying SHOWstudio a visit again in the future, and I can't wait to see what they have in store!

Here is a link to SHOWstudio's site where you can see more pieces from the exhibition (I couldn't get pictures of everything!) as well as find more information on the designers themselves as well as upcoming events showstudio.com



No comments:

Post a Comment